software upgrade: changes to spark
We're upgrading our software soon. Here is a short list of changes we've made in Spark, for the librarian side.
1. The custom version of the program has been renamed to 'SparkRef' to avoid confusion with the publicly available version.
2. After-session resolution codes are now dependent on the workgroup or service the librarian is monitoring. Because of the way this is handled on the server side, the older version of Spark ('2.5.8') will not work properly with L-net after the upgrade. SparkRef will be required.
3. An optional installer with a bundled JRE will be available. We hope this will make it easier for IT departments to install the software and reduce technical problems.
4. Some libraries have expressed the concern that Spark's file-sharing capabilities present a security threat to local networks. With SparkRef, we will be able to block file-sharing for individual users if requested.
5. The patron's initial question will display on the left-hand part of the screen as part of the regular chat transcript.
6. Chat sessions will now be harder to close accidentally. If you click on an 'x' icon to close a session, you will be asked if you are sure you want to end.
7. A sound can play when a chat session is transferred to you.
8. Two default preferences have been set
a. In the login section, the checkbox for 'idle enabled' is now unchecked by default
b. In sounds, there is an additional preference for the transfer noise that is now checked by default